Each year, SWACSV hosts at-risk; disenfranchised children for a shopping spree at a local Target store. The selected students earn their way through perfect attendance in school and participation in the Readers are Leaders reading campaign.
Heroes and Helpers
Heroes and Helpers Shopping Spree
- Each selected student receives a Target gift card up to $125.00 from SWACSV to purchase Christmas gifts for their family members and themselves.
- Students are escorted throughout the store by a uniformed police officer and a Target Team member to shop for gifts.
- Students are paired with a uniformed Officer and treated to breakfast and photos with Santa
- Each purchased gift is wrapped by community volunteers
- Students are also given Goody Bags and reading books for their personal library
- Sports celebrities & sports mascots are also in attendance
- In addition to focusing on the under-served community, SWACSV has a bereavement component which brings children who have lost a parent due to violence or domestic violence in the home. These high profile cases are supervised by detectives from the San Jose Police Department and are not required to participate in the Readers are Leaders reading campaign.
Shop with a Cop Foundation of Silicon Valley depends heavily on volunteers from the community to assist with the different components of making the shopping spree successful.
- Registration check-in helpers
- Santa’s helpers
- Gift wrappers
- Goody bag distribution helpers
- Check-out helpers and more
More importantly, however, are the law enforcement officers who volunteer their time for the holiday shopping spree and Operation Backpack events. They are the most integral part to the success and uniqueness of the programs SWACSV offers. The officers represent various agencies in the community such as, Campbell PD, CHP, District Attorney’s Office Investigators, Emeryville Police, Foothill/De Anza College Police, FBI, Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 52, Los Altos PD, Los Gatos PD, Milpitas PD, Redwood City PD, SJPD, SJPD Communications, SJPD Reserves, San Jose/Evergreen Community College District Police, San Jose State Police, Santa Clara County Correctional Officers’ Association, Santa Clara County Sheriffs Reserves, and West Valley College Police.