Readers are Leaders Reading Campaign
All learning is built on the foundation of reading. The Readers are Leaders reading campaign, is a 10-12 week reading program where students take a baseline test at the beginning and at the end of the campaign. Those who have made reading growth of 100 points or more, which is equivalent to one grade level, and have perfect attendance of 90-100% are eligible to participate in the Heroes and Helpers Holiday Shopping Spree.
Benefits of the Reading Campaign
- Each student is given a baseline test at the beginning and at the end of the 10-12 week reading campaign to measure growth.
- Each student making growth of 100 points or more earns the opportunity to participate in the Heroes and Helpers Holiday Shopping Spree.
- Each selected student receives a Target gift card up to $125.00 from SWACSV to purchase Christmas gifts for their family members and themselves.
- The “Top Readers” and “Most Improved” for each grade level are recognized at an awards assembly.
- The overall goal of the reading campaign is to make reading enjoyable; yet increase the proficiency level which will help improve test scores.
How Your Pledge Helps
- The reading campaign does not focus only on the most advanced readers. Everyone has an equal chance to earn their way.
- The Readers are Leaders reading program does not stop in December. SWACSV continues to monitor the reading growth of all 3rd-6th grade students until the end of the school year.
- Students also participate in a 6-8 week Readers are Leaders reading campaign during the Spring where they can earn their way to an educational based field trip such as to the 49ers Museum’s STEM program.
- Students who are the Top Reader and Most Improved for their grade level at the end of the school year are recognized at the End of the Year awards assembly.
The following are the student growth results for the Renaissance Reading Program Campaign (8/23/15-11/23/15):
Of 210 3rd-6th grade students who participated in the Reading Campaign, 40% of the students were reading at or above grade level or made gains of 90-100 points or more.
Of the 210 students, 83 earned their way to the shopping spree by making a 90-100 point growth on the baseline test. Of the 83 students, 30% were reading at or above grade level at the beginning of the campaign. However, at the end of the campaign, 40% made gains of 90-100 points or more.